« Cumberland River Floods Cumberland Architectural Millwork | Main | Of Note: ICA&CA's President on Memorializing through the Creation of Dynamic Public Space »



There is a moulding at the top of modillions that functionally gives the modillion a larger bearing area for supporting the soffit of the cornice, and visually ties the modillions to the rest of the cornice. It is a very important component, one which is often missing in contemporary cornices, especially when the modillions are of-the-shelf products. The appearance without its consideration is that of an applied part with no relation to the whole. What would this moulding be called? Does it have a name? It is similar to a bed moulding, but I think of a bed moulding as a continuous moulding that is below the modillion band. Maybe it is more like an abacus or echinus of a column cap the way it caps the top of the modillion.

The comments to this entry are closed.